Thursday, September 2, 2010

Take Alcohol (August 30th E-mail)

Yes we finally got our travel plans Friday! :) We are leaving Monday September 6th. That is also labor day yes? I am going to miss it here but I'm so excited to get out and start doing the work with real people!! Yes I will get a chance to call you guys. We actually have two lay overs to get to Honduras. We leave the Salt Lake airport at 6:00 in the morning, then fly to Dallas. I won't have time to call in Dallas, from there we fly to Miami and have a five hour layover there. Like I said I don't know if I will get a chance to call from Salt Lake, but I will definately have time to call from Miami. We land in Miami at 2:40 pm Miami time so that's 12:40(?) Salt Lake time. Then our flight leaves from Miami to Honduras around 7:25 Miami time. So if you want, write me a letter telling me when you want me to call, and I will do my best to call then, but I will call for sure. Probably between 4:00 and 6:00 Miami (2:00 and 4:00 our) time should work out. Oh and does anybody know how much it would cost for that kind of a call? If you could tell me that would be great. I'm really looking forward to talking to you again.
We got the whole going away and how to travel pep talk yesterday from our Branch President (yes the one that is awesome and has done everything, and knows everybody...Like Mike Fisher;)). Really good advice from him. He knows pretty much all the airports inside and outside and some sideways too. He told us yesterday that he has flown over 12 million miles in his time. And yes he has flown on Air Force One. This guy is amazing!
We were talking about how scary/cool it would be to fly through (only the idea was cool to landlocked people who had never seen a real hurricane). President Studdard, who is on wikipedia if any one wants to look him up and make sure I'm not lying about how cool he is, very calmly gave us a short story and said "Now when you're in one of those little eight man airplanes and you're in a storm getting tossed around and having been struck by lightning and you can see the pilot (because the small plane didn't have a cockpit door) and he is crossing himself (found out that means the Catholic cross) saying 'we're gonna die we're gonna die' then it's really scary. I thought we were going down for sure." and he told the whole story with a smile on his face and just so calmly like it happens to everyone! Oh and he smiles even when he frowns kinda like President Ruben.
So joke of the week is on me and my wonderul Spanish. Friday night I was feeling pretty good about my Spanish, like I was ready to go and "Cut my teeth" on real people. Saturday, for the teaching we do to volunteers that speak our same language, my companion and I started out with an Elder who also was learning Spanish and so we talked nice and slow and it went well, but during the break we had, they got some volunteers so they switched out the nice slow talking Elder with the RAPIDO teenage girls! I think I understood three words they said. We would ask a question (about the word of wisdom) they would say something back and we would nod and keep going. It was really hard. But the best was when I tried asking them if they wanted to quit alcohol. They all strarted laughing jibbering in Spanish. Found out later I asked if they wanted to take of alcohol instead. Oh well won't make that mistake again...
Hopefully,
Well I'm all out of time. Love you all. Let me know when to call you:)
Love,
Elder Travis Neiswender

No comments:

Post a Comment