Monday, September 27, 2010

Baptisms!

Dear Mom, and everyone!
How are things back on the Homefront? Everything is going good down here.
This week has been so freaking busy. We had to get ready for four baptisms on Saturday and I got to baptize 3 of them! I had the baptismal prayer down and everything, but I still can't say the names right down here. Oh well it will come. I can actually understand some of what the people here are trying to say to me some of the time. Actually I can understand where we are in the lessons, but in regular conversations...not yet.
So the baptism the other day was great. It kind of reminded me of how the weddings go in our family. The night before there was a big rain storm and we didn't have any water at our house, so naturally we were worried that there wouldn't be water at the church. Luckily they have a researve of water under the church for just that reason. Everything after that seemed to go real smooth until the time that we were trying to leave to go to the baptism. We got hit by a huge rainstorm about five minutes before we were supposed to leave. It was huge! The people here were saying it was a hurricane...I don't know if I want to believe that so if anyone there wants to look it up and see if it was or not that would be great. :) It rained so hard it turned the nice dirt roads into rivers. I had to cross one but I didn't know where the heck I was going to cross. Then this guy drives up in a truck and starts talking to me in Spanish. It was raining so hard I could barely hear him as it was. My companion told me that the guy was saying to cross over the bed of the truck and the streets are narrow enough that we could jump from the side of the truck and make it to the other side. So that's what I did. I still don't know who the driver of the truck was. Anyway so three out of the four showed up. After waiting a while the fourth girl showed up, we asked why she was late, and she told us that she and her friend had gotten robbed on their way to the baptism. Crazy. But after that everything went smooth. It just reminded me of the weddings in our family because all the weird bad things wait to the last minute to happen lol:)
Any way. Quick question mom. did you add verl greenhalgh to the email list when he asked you to forward his email to me? If not will you do so:) Maybe you could send me a list of all the people you are sending my emails to and I will let you know if there are anymore:)

Well that's all for this week, hope everything is going well back at home!
Love,
Elder Travis Neiswender

No comments:

Post a Comment