Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Should Have Died Right There!

Dear mom and everyone else,
Ok so from the subject title, this is not an adventure story. Let me explain. So I thought that me and my companion were doing better. We actually had a couple of conversations and even laughed a little bit. Things were looking up:) But yesterday thinks took a turn for the worse. We left to work and he walked out of the house with a hat on. Just to clarify, we cannnot wear hats during missionary work. Well I told him that we can't wear hats and he just gave me the "crazy" sign. Well we left, and I asked him why he even wanted to wear a hat, and along came another arguement. Thing is, I don't think people ever taught him how to make a smart arguement. All he did was say that he had more time than me. Therfore his two basic arguement were that I don't know anything because I only have 8 months, and that I can't even speak Spanish. He was only right on one thing and that was that he had more time than me. Well we went on and I said that I only do my best because I want to see miracles. He told me that he has seen his miracles and that I get to wait for mine. Well by the end of the time he realized I was right because he went back to pretending he couldn't understand me.
After all this, we met up with some converts and started a long hike under the brutal sun. Just a quick sidenote, this is the hottest time of the year here and boy is it hot! Well I was walking along, more irritated by his indifference than anything when I thought of a M*A*S*H episode that made me laugh inside.
In this episdoe a doctor comes to camp to visit and teach a new technique. BJ and Hawkeye don't really like him because he his cocky and thinks he can do everything. BJ Honycut has a lifethreatening problem that only this new doctor knew how to cure. After saving BJ's life, Hawkeye thanks him and the doctor just keeps on in his arrogant ways. After all this, BJ and Hawkeye are talking and saying about how cocky that doctor was. They were getting madder and madder and then BJ starts laughing and says to Hawkeye, "You know what I should have done that would have shown that doctor up? I should have died right there at the table while he was operating!"
And so while walking along the dusty hot road I thought "I should have just died right there in the middle of the road and let the converts see how he reacts!" Now don't worry these were not serious thoughts of dying. I just started chuckling at how such a absurd idea would have entered my mind and help me cheer up with a little humor:) Kind of like Thomas Heziltien's story about reading about when Nephi had to kill Laban. And then Thomas looked up and saw the Machette sitting there against the table.
Oh and dad you'll get a kick out of this other story. We went to an investigators house the other day and he told us to just hop the gate because it didn't open anymore. Well it was a little crappy wooden gate and my companion went first struggling to find a board strong enough to support his weight long enough. He finally did it and made it look really hard. Then it was my turn. I went up, swung up one leg and realized how tall I really was. I didn't have to climb the gate, I just had to lift my leg up high and walk over the gate:) Haha oh I love being tall here:)
Well that´s about it for this week. I love you all and hope you all enjoy conference and that we can all learn something new!
Love,
Elder Neiswender

No comments:

Post a Comment