Monday, March 14, 2011

Prayers Are Inspired

Dear Mom and everyone else,
Well things are great here! Thanks mom for Trevor´s email address. That´s cool that you got to go to his restaraunt and that he could wait on you guys. I remember how fun it was seeing people I know at Jordan Commons. even though I didn´t really get to talk much when I saw them there. It was always fun anyway:)
So I tried using a little bit of that, as mom called it, "Travis charm" the other day to get my companion to talk. Problem is, the way the Spanish language is built, it is very difficult to ask for something without making it sound demanding. I tried to ask nicely to let me teach more in the lesson so that I could become more confident and fluent and the works, and I failed miserably. He took it the wrong way (or maybe it really did come out the wrong way) and he started telling me things about my teaching that didn´t really tickle my fancy. He kept saying that he interupted me because I didn´t know what to say. Problem from his side, he had no idea during the lesson that I was about to say the exact same thing that he said when he interrupted me. I asked him how he knew that I wasn´t going to say those things and he said "because". A few more words flew, but then we saw one of our investigators walking toward so we stopped talking. So good new, I finally had a conversation with my companion:) The bad news, it was an arguement. Guess there is no why to go but up:)
Now as for the earthquake in Japan. I am glad that all the missionaries are safe there. I had a weird experience with prayer right before that earthquake hit Japan. I have always heard that sometimes the Lord inspires prayers so that we might pray for things we might not think we need or what others might need. That night before, I was tired, and I admit I had pretty much put in the tape of Prayer A and was just going through the motions. All of the sudden one of the scriptures that talks abut vain repetitions came into my mind while I was praying. So just to mix things up a little bit I slowed down and took a pause in the prayer. Suddenly I felt a small prompting to ask for Ryan´s safety. I had no idea why, but I did it anyway because President Monson says never ignore promptings from the spirit. As I heard about what was happening in Japan the next day, my thoughts truned to my life long friend Ryan Horne. I know that millions of prayers are said everynight for all the missionaries all over the world, and I don´t feel like one prayer in a couple million really had a whole lot of effect on the situation. But I tell you that I felt a whole lot better knowing that I had already petitioned to my Father my brother´s safety. I read the story of Helaman´s Army the other day. And while hearing about the events in Japan I was filled with a peace. I didn´t have to worry because I know Ryan, and the trust in the Lord that he has, and I knew that he wasn´t worried. I know now that the Lord does inspire prayers. He knows what we need even when we don´t. I encourage you to do as President Monson has said and practice and act on the promptings of the Holy Spirit immediately.
I´ve had a lot of time to study ensigns and read about what President Monson has said in these past couple of weeks. And I am gratefull for it.
I hope everything is going well back there at home! I love getting updates from back there:) I love you all and I pray for you all everynight!
Love,
Elder Neiswender

No comments:

Post a Comment