Monday, October 18, 2010

Hablo Espanol? Almost.

Dear Mom and everyone else,
Well this week has been full of ups and downs. We had two more baptisms, a father and his daughter, this past weekend which makes 8 for this change! It was awesome! We had a cake because it was the birthday of one of the people we baptized. It was his first ever birthday party and he is 53 years old. I know crazy, I remember having a birthday party when I was 9. I love talking with him and his family, I can actually understand them now and talk back with them. It was great because on Friday we did their baptismal interviews, but obviously I couldn't be with them in the interview so I had to just sit outside with the person that wasn't being interviewed at the time. It was fun, I was able to talk with them and when I ran out of things to say in Spanish i figured might as well read in the Book of Mormon instead of just sitting there in awkward silence. It was fun reading the Book of Mormon with native Spanish speakers so that they could help my pronounciation. It was a lot of fun.
Now I would like to apologize for anything negative about the people that I might have said last week. I have a companion who...let's just say he is extremely racist. But he won't admit it. He sits and tells me how proud he is to be an American and then insults the Hondurans for being proud to be Hondurans. He tells me at least ten times a day (no exageration there...honest) how much the people here "suck". He takes all the insults that people say on the street as a personal insult. The kids here always ask if we want coffee as their big joke. The other day Durrant snapped and went up to the kid and said yes he would like some, then he said to the kid "Oh that's right you can't get me coffee because you can't even afford dinner for tonght." I just about hit him when he said that. Then he turned to me and told me not to let the insults bother me. lol...ok? I try my best to tune out all his negative comments about the people and the country, but having to listen to it everyday for six weeks is rather difficult and sometimes (like last week) it gets to me. I love it here and am trying like crazy to earn respect from the people and to love them all at the same time. It works pretty well, especially since I can play the piano:)
Now to answer your questions.
Yes I am getting better at understanding people. Still not amazing at it yet, but I'm getting better. Oh and we found out that we don't have a rat. We have a mouse. That's why the rat trap that is for big rats didn't go off on this little mouse, and of course they don't sell regular mouse traps here. Just big rat traps lol. Oh and I got that first package:) That picture made me and my comp laugh so hard! It was great getting it! Thank you! oh and the chocolate was really good. I have almost run out of the candy that Kristi sent me in the MTC so it was nice to get that candy.
Well that's about it for this week. Until next week family:) Thanks to everyone that wrote:)
Love,
Elder Travis Neiswender

No comments:

Post a Comment